Saturday, 24 May 2014

Bass Guitar Preamp Design

As is the way with many things in life, focus and direction changes. I am writing this post to offer like minded DIY hobbyists, engineers and bassists the chance to continue where I will leave in the design of a bass guitar pre-amplifier.

In 2012, I designed a bass guitar pre-amplifier for my dissertation. Over the last 2 years, I have continued to redesign the preamp in my spare time. Unfortunately, my commitments now unavoidably lie elsewhere and I am officially calling it time on my work. When I started, I had little electronics knowledge or experience; now I'm a qualified electronic engineer. From the beginning this project has been with me and it complements a great time in my life.

By popular demand, I am publishing my original work from 2012. I hope that it may help any beginners looking to design electronics. I hope it may be a working foundation for further development for those more confident in electronics. I hope that it is an interesting read for any bassist who has the faintest of passing interests in electronics.

The only thing I ask, is for your feedback. If you find my dissertation useful please get in touch, show me your developments, keep me in the loop on how your redesign or new design is going. I'd love to hear if this work helps any future electronic development.

Please do not redistribute this work without my permission.

Enough of the rambling. download my work below. Enjoy:

Bass Guitar Preamp Design 

by Dave Sampson


@homewith_dave
daveisnot (at) outlook.com



2 comments:

Jon said...

I learned about this from your HN submission. Nice work. Now you know why It's 10x harder putting a finished project in a nice box and ship it as it is to get a prototype hacked together on the bench. I recently completed a rather complex bass preamp of my own. It's a turret board re-implementation of the Ampeg SVP-CL, which is itself a re-implementation of the Ampeg SVT preamp. While I borrowed the circuit nearly verbatim, the layout was 100% original, as were the HV and LV power supplies. It will take me another month to publish the full design/build story on my website. I threw up a few postings during the build process here: http://vibrolax.tumblr.com/

Dave said...

Nice work on your pre design. It was that sort of innovation that inspired me to take up electronics all those years ago. Keep up the good work, keep in touch, look forward to seeing the end result.